Tonight print off the Life and Debt question sheet and read the Primer. This is essential for your understanding of a complicated aspect of Globalization. Austerity measures, conditionalities, and structural adjustment programs are all mechanisms of debt portrayed in the video but need to be understood prior to viewing.
Work through the questions in the supplementary reading column. Tomorrow we begin our case study on Jamaica. Read the Life and Debt Primer at the bottom of the left hand column and print off the Life and Debt questions for tomorrow.
Print off #5 Behind the Swoosh
Class discussion tomorrow on Globalization and Terror
Read the article: Globalization and Terror by HELENA HORBERG-HODGE The Ecologist,
and answer the questions below. The reading is link 3 the Unit Work above.. Be prepared to share tomorrow.
1. What was meant by Horberg-Hodge saying,” By bombing a war-torn, defenceless country we are pouring oil instead of water on the fire.”?
2. According to the author, generally how aware are we of terrorist conflicts around the world, and specifically when do conflicts become “newsworthy”?
3. Describe the process of globalization on Ladakh, India and how it lead to scarcity and competition resulting in conflict between the two formerly cordial and interdependent Buddhist and Muslim groups?
4. What is meant by a ‘cultural inferiority complex’?
5. Discuss the role of religion in the ‘rise of fundamentalism’ resulting in the increase in ethnic tension?
6. What according to Horberg-Hodge are ways of stopping the violence and reclaiming the future?
Finish taking notes on the Globalization PowerPoint
Correct your Unit Tests for bonus marks
Midterm Exam format and content given on Friday
This week we are working on our Position Papers. This is an in class writing process. Your two organizers will be read nightly with comments for the following day. The final product is a word processed position paper on globalization due Monday Dec 7.
Please see the 'Summative' tab for Essay writing help including APA citation methodology.
The entire essay will be done in class on your own over several days. Make sure you are present on the following days.
Nov 30, Dec 1,2,3 - all classes are in Rm 221